Accessible Destination Travel for the Disabled and Elderly
Most Americans have a destination in mind that they would love to explore. Unfortunately, too many Americans feel confined by aches and pains or disability. According to a study by Dr. Liza Lezzoni of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, arthritis and other joint problems, back problems, accidental falls, heart disease, motor vehicle accidents, and chronic lung disease are the primary causes behind adult mobility issues. However, mobility difficulties are not exclusive to the elderly community by any means. Children who endured traumatic injuries or have been diagnosed with neurological or musculoskeletal conditions also face accessibility issues. Discover how today’s medical equipment and tourism programs are enabling the mobility challenged to sightsee in foreign lands or visit cherished yet distant family members.
Nothing like the open road!
Scooters or power chairs are a great investment for someone with respiratory or heart problems who enjoys being on the go. If you would love to hit the road but are worried about transporting a scooter or power chair, an auto lift or turning seat may be the perfect solution for you or your loved one.
- Auto lifts and turning seats can be universally fit for any sedan, van, SUV, or pick-up truck and because they are professionally installed into existing drill holes, these automatic mobility solutions can be switched from car to car!
- The super portable suitcase ramp also works as an excellent mobility aid when on the road – roll the wheelchair or scooter out the car and over curbs or other thresholds for increased accessibility.
Ask a 101 Mobility Expert about these multi-faceted travel enhancing options!
Rail – Amtrak
As with any travel plan, time is of the essence!
Book reservations well in advance. Amtrak recommends at least 14 days of notice. To prevent anything from slipping through the cracks, call a few days before departure to confirm that all the necessary accommodations will be in place. Amtrak offers the following choices to increase freedom and ease of travel:
- Wheeled mobility device space
- Transfer accessible seats to stow a wheelchair under your seat – added convenience!
- Accessible bedroom accommodations available by reservation
- Train platforms, no problem! Request in advance for use of mobility lifts.
- If you or a loved one requires an oxygen tank, be sure the tank can operate without the use of electrical power supplied onboard for at least 4 hours in the case of a power outage.
- If you or the one you care for requires assistance bathing, using the restroom, dining or other related activities, please make arrangements for companionship.
- Amtrak offers a 15% discount to those traveling with a disability in addition to a caregiver with acceptable documentation.
“…throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Check the resorts below for ideas on your next trip. There are accessible travel options out there to make visiting your dream destination a reality! From snow covered mountains to the Bacardi clear waters of the Caribbean, there is someplace to be enjoyed by everyone.
- Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico – Founded by a US Marine veteran who suffered a spinal cord injury and is now a quadriplegic, this resort is designed to meet the very unique needs of mobility challenged tourist.
- Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort of Utah – Looking for an outdoor adventure? This full service family oriented resort features a variety of adaptable activities including archery and horseback riding.
- African Safari – Hear mighty lions roar and watch elegant gazettes on the African Savannah Accessible Safari Tours, lodging accommodations, and landmarks are all at your fingertips with Access Africa.
- Ski Resorts in Vancouver – These magnificent resorts offer a wide range of amenities including wheelchair accessible playground to watch the kids or grandchildren play and wheelchair friendly shopping centers!
- Cruise – Royal Caribbean Cruise lines provide support and comfortable accommodations for guests with mobility impairments.