Choosing the Mobility Scooter that is Right for You
Choosing the mobility scooter that is right for you doesn’t have to be a difficult decision. It is just a matter of knowing what you want, what you need, and how the various options fit your criteria. At 101 Mobility, we work with people everyday who are making decisions about which mobility scooter will meet their lifestyle needs. Here are some of the questions you will want to ask yourself as you begin deciding which mobility scooter is right for you.
- Am I healthy enough for a mobility scooter or should I consider a wheelchair?
- Do I prefer a three wheel or four wheel mobility scooter?
– Three wheel scooters tend to be better for those who will primarily use their scooter indoors, as they are easy to manage and can maneuver easily around corners.
– Four wheel scooters are generally preferred for their stability and for outdoor use. Four wheel models are better on rugged or uneven surfaces.
- Do I need additional power for navigating curbs or hills in my neighborhood? If so, you may want to consider a four wheel mobility scooter.
- What is the maximum distance the scooter will go? How does this compare to my typical day’s routine.
- Are the controls easy to reach? Are they easy to use and understand?
- Is the platform of the scooter wide enough to comfortably support my legs and feet?
- Does the scooter offer a swivel seat?
– A swivel seat eases the transition on and off the scooter. We find that our clients prefer this option.
- Will I need to transport my scooter? If so, can the scooter I am considering be disassembled? How much will the heaviest piece of the disassembled scooter weigh? Can I comfortably lift that weight?
- What sort of warranty does the scooter come with? How are repairs handled?
– With 101 Mobility, you always have a team of local professionals behind you for service and support.
- If you plan on using your mobility scooter at home, please consider the width of any gates, or doorways. Also, be aware that you will need a ramp to get over any steps. 101 Mobility also carries a full line of accessibility ramps for your convenience.
As you answer these questions, we are sure they will spark many more. Please contact your local 101 Mobility location to discuss how a mobility scooter can help you increase your independence. Our local mobility experts are ready to answer your questions and help you find the right mobility scooter for you.